Sunday, August 23, 2009

Next Generation Learning

I viewed the Next Generation Learning video with mixed feelings. It sounds like England must fund their schools differently than we do in the U.S.A. I'm impressed with all the technology equipment they have at their disposal. I'm not sure how their schools are run in comparison to ours. I would love to to have a smart board to use in my classroom.

I can see many benefits to having so much integrated technology in the classroom. I know that these children are exposed to many experiences outside of their classroom. I can also see the benefits of the communication with parents. Obviously everyone would have to have access to the online sections in order for everyone to be able to do the homework assignments. Parents could not use the excuse that "they didn't know about the assignment".

There are parts of the video that I do have issues with. There was a section in the video that the boy refers to sitting in his seat and learning as boring. He can run around and operate his IPhone, but doesn't know what his Dad does for a living! His job must also be...boring! Maybe I'm a little old school, but part of me feels that there is a certain amount of self discipline that needs to be learned. If I can't jump up and down and make something entertaining, does that make it not worth learning? Do we need to perform a circus act at school to teach our children? Do we really need Wii's in the classroom? How about we actually get up out of our seats and go outside and get our exercise that way. I guess out of all the videos, this one probably bothered me the most. I just couldn't agree with everything that was said in this one.

1 comment: