Saturday, August 22, 2009

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

Vicki Davis has done a wonderful job in her classroom. It seems like she is really empowering her students to find answers on their own. It seems as if it is even more exciting for this class of students since they are living in rural Georgia. Can you imagine their excitement in being able to travel the world for their class. I'm sure the impression left on them will last forever. They are able to connect with other students all over the world. Some are even able to work internationally to complete projects together online.

While I really admire Vicki's classroom, I don't know that I could ever see my second graders learning all of their subjects in that manner. I do think it is great that she readily admits "she doesn't know it all". How can any of us know it all, when we aren't even sure of the jobs that will exist for our students in a few years. We need to remember to let our students know that we don't have all the answers to every question, but we can help them find ways to seek out the answers to their questions. That's a great lesson in itself from this video.

I also took the time to check out Vicki Davis' Cool Cat Teacher Blog. I enjoyed looking around at her blog and reading some of the information there. I would like to take the time to see more of her early childhood and elementary ideas. She seems to have a good grasp of what the younger age groups are capable of. I know that sometimes we sell children short. My six year old has no problems operating my iPhone and she doesn't read all that well. I know that we have to be careful not to sell these younger children short.

No comments:

Post a Comment