Thursday, August 20, 2009

Did You Know? 3.0

I'm not sure what to think of these type videos. I guess my first reaction is to panic. Is our country headed down the tubes? Is the USA not on top of the game anymore? I also took the time to read some of the comments that followed the video in the discussion section. Some of those comments made me think twice about some of the things I read.
First of all, how do we know these facts presented in the video are true? Who monitors this type of thing? Can't anyone stick a video on You Tube? I'm sure some of the things presented are true, but I'd like to know where they get this information. But true or not, it really makes you think. Are we keeping up with other countries? Or is it that we were just ahead for so long, and now we are stagnant and others are catching up to us. In some cases, they are passing us by because we have become complacent.

I also wonder about the motives about those that produce this type of video. Do they have an agenda? If so, what do they want to accomplish by these type videos? Obviously from the comments below the video, some people feel really threatened by some the information. Some of those just question the accuracy of the information. "How can humans produce a computer that is going to be capable of what they claim, if humans are the ones producing it?" I personally wouldn't have thought about this on my own, but the comments of others made me question it too.

I guess as an educator the implications of this video mean that we just need to teach children critical thinking skills. Encourage them to think "outside the box" so to speak. Challenge them in each of their subjects. I see public school phasing out so much Science and Social Studies in favor of more Language Arts time. I've never understood that. Isn't the technology of the world found more in Science and Social Studies? Can't language skills be taught in a Science book too? If we aren't even aware of what the top jobs will be in the next 5 to 10 years, than we need to teach students in a way that will expose them to as many subjects as possible. It will be interesting to see where our country is in the next 20 years. I don't think we are in danger of becoming extinct!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that we are in danger of becoming extinct, but we are in danger of becoming a poorer country. Think about, technology will make you LAZY. Do you walk to the neighbors to see how they are doing or do you call on your cell. Technology has its advantages and disadvantages.

    ReplyDelete