Saturday, September 19, 2009

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?



Karl Fisch's Blog

Is it okay to be a technologically illiterate teacher? Karl Fisch started this question in his blog in 2007, and it's still being debated on his blog in 2009. I think it has sparked some wonderful debate on the subject. How much do you have to know to be considered in the literate category? I guess the answer to that changes everyday. As technology comes and goes, or and evolves into something more, it seems a constant battle to keep up. There are those in the camp of refusal to adjust. Those that see technology as the enemy to our existence. Then there are those that are just afraid of the unknown, they aren't really against it, they just don't know where to start learning. Do we as teachers have a duty to use technology in our classroom? I think so.

As I mentioned in my post on Mr. Fisch's blog, all people regardless of their profession, must keep up with changes. Do you want a doctor to treat you or perform surgery on you that hasn't kept up with the latest techniques and equipment? Do you want someone to repair your car, house, appliances, that isn't certified? Of all people teachers must be willing to learn. How can we model learning if we refuse to be learners? The younger parents of today's society have expectations of teachers that will use technology. They have expectations of schools that will teach and use technology in the classroom, and to communicate with parents.

I think the biggest downfall to technology in the classroom is cost. There are many things I would like to have and use in my classroom, but if I can't afford to buy them myself I may not be able to get them. In public education we are struggling to pay cafeteria workers, custodians, and bus drivers. Forget about buying updated equipment for the classroom! As technology evolves the costs start to drop, but then something newer and better has taken its place. It's an ongoing cycle that we need to do our best to keep up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment