Saturday, October 17, 2009

Networked Student



The Networked Student Video

I watched Wendy Drexler's Networked Student Video a couple of times. I also left a comment on her blog for the video. I'm very anxious to see how her middle school students achieve with this learning environment. As the mother of middle school child, I would love for my child to have a teacher such as Ms. Drexler. As a former teacher of middle school children, I can see how this type of learning environment would really appeal to this particular age set. Middle school children are eager for independence, and I think this type of learning offers them independent practice.

Why does the networked student even need a teacher? I've found myself asking this very question with several of the video's that we have been required to watch. Are we going to get to a point in society when we start cutting teachers out of the classroom and placing our students in front of computer monitors instead? How much money could be saved by eliminating individual teachers and just allowing one teacher to teach multiple classes through video? Could this be the answer for all our hurting education systems in the area?

I think Ms. Drexler addresses this question in her video. Teachers are still needed for the students, just in a different capacity than what we have been accustomed to. The teacher will be the person to teach how to build the learning network, how to communicate with others and ask respectfully for the help of others. Teachers must help students determine good resources from propaganda, and help them organize their information. Hopefully the students will retain their learning network after their course has ended.

I'm feeling more prepared each day to meet the needs of the networked student. I think most teachers of networking don't proclaim to know it all, just that they are willing to spend the time along with their students to find out the answers. They are okay with admitting that they haven't used a particular resource, but they're willing to realize that learning is a two way street along with their students. With ever changing technology, it is impossible to stay up to date on every possible resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment